Monday, September 26, 2016

Archways, Burning blunders, and Details




I was happy with the way the dungeon wall turned out, design wise.  I took the hot wire engraver and carved the lines in the foam to simulate the stonework pattern.  This archway design proved to be the right size to incorporate a dungeon door as well.








The first order of business with the dungeon door wall segment was to cut out the opening for the doorway.  Using the hot wire 3d scrolling table made it a simple task to remove the desired section, marked off with the template.  





Now I needed to do a dungeon wall that has a doorway within it.  I rigged my hot wire router tool to ease in cutting an indentation for the door to lean against on the room side of the dungeon wall.






As careful as I am sometimes I get burned with the hot wire tool.  Luckily, the burns were minor enough that no additional treatment was needed.





The wall pictured on the right was my first attempt to cut out the indent for the door side of the dungeon wall.  Frustrating as it was, I started over and prepped another foam piece with an archway cut out.  On the second try I was a bit more careful and successfully cut out the indent on the left side of the photo.





After carving the lines in the foam this is how the dungeon wall with a door looks on the corridor side.





Here I detailed the cut out indent on the dungeon wall.  This room side view of the wall will receive a foam core archway face just like the regular dungeon wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment