Monday, October 17, 2016

Inside painting, Fitting and a Gate Corridor Section

Ever try to assemble something and you realize there are parts that are hard to reach when you paint it?  Dealing with the Gate Corridor Section of my modular dungeon has shown me that issue.


The gate section for a corridor was going to be a simple archway as pictured.  Then it dawned on me for this piece to be two sided and have a gap between the to archways in order to allow something to slide down and create a barrier.  My first thought was a simple gate that would slide down, like to a portcullis.






I decided to use foam core as pictured to give a sturdy spacer and it is thick enough to let cardboard and skewer sticks to pass through it.  Of course I used a template to know how wide to make the spacers and such.




Cardboard is great for holding skewer sticks together and gives a good uniform spacing for them to represent metal bars.





After placing the two sides together for a dry fit test and where I was going to glue it to the floor tile, I realized the inner part on the flooring as well as the inner part of the archway was going to be difficult to paint when glued together.

This reminds me of my Gate Tower Project that I did a while back for a stronghold I was building.  In both cases you have to paint and detail the inner part before you can finish assembling the piece and painting the outside as well,





After gluing the foam core sections down, I test fitted the skewers and cut them to size to see how they would slide in the archway.  I kept the brackets simple and will paint them after the gate is assembled.    



Base coated with black as pictured.







The neutral gray really brought out the details as pictured from the carving of the foam.







Personally, I prefer to assemble everything in a build and paint later.  This is how it looked on the floor tile as pictured and the flooring was going to be the next challenge in covering the hard to reach areas.





After tracing the outline of the archway on the floor tile I noted where to paint the floor and knew it only needed a base coat to cover up the white area under the slot section.







No comments:

Post a Comment