Monday, October 3, 2016

Seams, Archways, and Secret Doors

Over the weekend I had a chance to expand on a couple of ideas to add to my dungeon diorama tiles.  With all of my current flooring tiles taken up with walls I decided to make more regular floor tiles.  As soon as I did that I thought of a corridor archway and a secret door tile.  I was even more happy to try and find a way to creatively hide the seams of the walls as they stood together from different tiles.



Pictured here are three different tiles with the sections added to help hide the seams of the walls.  Notice how I cut them higher to allow space for joining floor tiles.







At first I thought of adding a stud or pillar like section to an edge of a wall, so when it would butt up against another wall you would not see the seam between them.  I used foam core again to achieve this, however, I realized that it will be more of obscuring than covering, since any protruding edge is liable for breaking or chipping off.  With this section added it will help reinforce the corridor side of the wall on a tile.




With measuring and lining things up the pieces effectively fit together.  A 28 mm figure stands near the doorway for scale.  








The archway tile was an idea that hit me as far as creating an obstacle for a corridor.  It's function would help reinforce the dungeon ceiling and have other options at its opening.  So far I have thought of adding a gate, portcullis, and some other sliding door to the opening to give this piece some versatility as well.



This is still in its experimental stage as the indented doorways will face out on both directions of the corridor.  I plan to separate the two with a piece of foam core for spacing.







While all this was going on, I came up with an idea for a secret door that would be accessed from the corridor of the dungeon.  So far I cut a piece similar to how the stone would look from the inside of a room.  It is still in the works yet I think I am on the right track.  I am thinking the door will be unlocked from either side of the wall, but the secret door can only be pushed into the room from the corridor.  This will require a custom floor tile for this piece.



Pictured here is the wall with how it would look from the room side of the dungeon, similar to a basic wall tile.  The main difference is the inner part will move away from the archway as a separate piece after the door is unlocked and pushed inside the room.







No comments:

Post a Comment